more photos on:


Victor Ciangura      6.1.19

A very fast and keen game with both sides having their very good moments. The first period was a balanced affair while Valletta created more actions after the resumption. Following this game Valletta are in third position on 10 points from 7 games while San Ġwann are in fourth position on 9 points from 6 games.


The first action was mounted by Valletta as Keiran Scicluna released Isaiah Micallef in the area and San Ġwann keeper Joel Micallef foiled him with a timely sortie.


The reaction by San Ġwann was very immediate as they created two actions. Matthias Fenech was fouled in midfield and the ball was cleared away from the free kick by Isaac Spiteri and Jake Micallef served Myron Micallef in the area and after Valletta keeper Jacob Mangion partly saved his shot the ball was cleared away to safety.


Valletta then created two more actions. Micallef served Scicluna with a through ball in the area and Micallef saved his grounder and Micallef then had a run down the left flank and after entering the area Micallef foiled him as he dived at his feet and smothered the ball.


In the 27th minute San Ġwann opened the score when Miguel Azzopardi entered the area after dribbling past an opponent on the left flank and as he was tripped the referee pointed to the spot and the same player made no mistake with a hard drive.


Four minutes later Valletta came very close to restore parity when Luke St John served Micallef with a high through ball in the area and he missed the upright by inches with a lobbed ball with keeper Micallef beaten and in the last action before the break St John served Deacon Abela with another high through ball in the area and Micallef was forced to dive and save his header.


Valletta commenced the second period by creating the first actions. Klose Azzopardi Conti served Micallef with a through ball in the area and after Micallef partly saved his shot the ball was cleared to a corner. Azzopardi Conti was then fouled well outside the area and after the free kick by Javier Farrugia the ball was cleared away with difficulty and Daniel Letherby served Micallef with a perfect through ball in the area but he miscued his shot and Micallef easily saved the ball.


Two actions were then created by San Ġwann. A corner kick by Jake Micallef created havoc in Valletta’s area and Matteo Tanti drove out from inside the area and a flag kick by Spiteri also created havoc and the ball was cleared away with difficulty.


The equalizer by Valletta was scored on the hour when Miguel Azzopardi floated a high ball in the area from a midfield free kick and Abela, up with his forwards, scored with a header and following this goal Valletta kept pressing till the end. Micallef was fouled just outside the area and Micallef saved on the free kick by the same player. Micallef then served Scicluna with a through ball in the area and with an open goal at his mercy he unbelievably drove out and Scicluna served Micallef with a cross from the left flank and Micallef saved his header.


J.Micallef, K.Debono, J.Carbone, I.Spiteri, J.Micallef (Capt), M.Micallef, M.Tanti, B.Hili, A.Vella, M.Fenech, M.Ebejer.


Valletta:  J.Mangion, L.St.John, D.Abela (Capt), J.Farrugia, M.Azzopardi, J.Spiteri, D.Letherby, K.Azzopardi Conti, K.Scicluna, I.Micallef, A.Borg.


Player of the match: Isaiah Micallef (Valletta)


Referee; Max Muscat