zebbug vs attard u15

Victor Ciangura

Attard registered their first win from 5 games while Żebbuġ are on only 1 point from 4 games. The Attard youngsters deserved the verdict as they were the more methodical side.

Żebbuġ crested the first two actions. Nathaniel Fenech served Joseph Psaila with a through ball in the area and a defender foiled him with a timely clearance and a flag kick by Derston Saliba was cleared to another corner and from the same player’s flag kick Psaila drove out from inside the area.

In Attard’s first action Kyle Zahra released Aidan Cassar on the right flank and a Żebbuġ defender foiled him with a timely clearance and following this action Żebbuġ regained the initiative as they mounted three actions. Fenech was fouled on the right flank and from the same player’s free-kick the ball was cleared on the line. Leon Desira controlled a loose ball well outside the area and Attard keeper Miguel Curmi saved his hard drive and Desira then served Saliba with a square pass outside the area and Curmi had to dive and save to a corner his hard distant shot.

Attard forged ahead in the 23rd minute when Aidan Cassar was served with a long and high through ball just outside the area Żebbuġ keeper Aiden Vella came out of his charge to clear the ball away he lost control of the ball and Aidan Cassar shot the ball into an empty net, and five minutes later they doubled their lead as Zahra entered the area after dribbling past an opponent and served Javier Curmi with a square pass who netted with a hard low drive. Two minutes before the break Attard came very close a third goal when after a flag kick by Edward Buckingham a header by Thomas Howland was cleared from over the line.

Four minutes after the restart Attard were denied by the woodwork when Zahra served Aidan Cassar with a square pass on the edge of the area and the ball thumped the upright from his hard drive with Vella completely beaten and in an action by Żebbuġ after a Saliba flag kick Curmi saved a shot by Miguel D’Amato from the right edge of the area.

The score became 3-0 in the 48th minute as Zahra dribbled past an opponent well outside the area and scored with a hard rising shot past a helpless Vella.

Żebbuġ reduced the gap in the 54th minute when Yochim Agius was fouled in midfield and after Fenech floated a high ball in the area from the free kick substitute Aiden Bartolo scored with a low shot.

The fourth goal was scored on the hour when after a run down the right flank by Aidan Cassar he veered to the right edge of the area and after Vella partly saved his hard drive Psaila was on hand to score with a low hard drive from the rebound and Żebbuġ then created the last action before the end as Fenech served Alexander Sweet with a through ball in the area and Curmi foiled him with a timely sortie.

Attard:  M.Curmi, T.Howland, K.Zahra (Capt), E.Fenech, J.Cassar, E.Buckingham, M.Curmi, M.Miceli, J.Curmi, A.Cassar, D.Xuereb

Żebbuġ:  A.Vella, M.D’Amato, G.Quadarella, Y.Agius, N.Fenech, A.W.Sweet, D.Saliba, J.Psaila, K.Bugeja (Capt), L.Desira, R.Saliba

Player of the match: Kyle Zahra (Attard)                    Referee: Ray Tabone